[Humanist] 28.412 events: art & science of digital humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Oct 18 07:45:01 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 20:44:49 +0000
        From: "HASTAC" <HASTAC at mail.vresp.com>
        Subject: CFP Deadline Extended to October 31 for #HASTAC2015: Art and Science of Digital Humanities

CFP Deadline Extended to October 31 for #HASTAC2015: Art and Science
of Digital Humanities

We’re pleased to announce that the deadline for proposals to the
HASTAC 2015 Conference has been extended to 5:00 pm EST on Friday,
October 31, 2014.    Please see the full announcement of the
conference and the extended deadline, with links, below.  Thank you
for passing on to your networks and constituents.

HASTAC 2015 conference will be held May 27-30, 2015 at the
Kellogg Center on the campus of Michigan State University.
Connecting with HASTAC’s interdisciplinary mission, the conference
will center on the theme of the “Art and Science of Digital
Humanities.” Conference tracks will range in focus
from current  digital humanities work to featuring
groundbreaking new work at the intersection of the arts and
sciences. The conference will feature a mini-conference for HASTAC
Scholars followed by two full days of conference activities and
opportunities for collaboration.

For more information about the conference, please
see www.hastac2015.org.

The Call for Proposals for HASTAC 2015: The Arts and Science of
Digital Humanities is now available! The full CFP can be found
here [6]. The deadline for proposals is October 31, 2014 at 5:00 pm
EST.

Join us on the campus of Michigan State University to celebrate and
explore the range of Digital Humanities Scholarship, Research, and
Performance! We welcome sessions that address, exemplify, and
interrogate the interdisciplinary nature of DH work. HASTAC 2015
[8] challenges participants to consider how the interplay of
science, technology, social sciences, humanities, and arts are
producing new forms of knowledge, disrupting older forms,
challenging or reifying power relationships, among other
possibilities.  Themes addressed by the conference include:

  the changing nature of humanities research and scholarship
  indigenous culture, decolonial and post-colonial theory and
   technology
  technology and education–open learning, peer learning, and
   issues of access, equity for primary and/or higher education
  communication of knowledge, publishing, and intellectual property
  digital cultural heritage and hegemony
  crowd dynamics, global outreach, and social media
  technology and social identity and roles:  gender, race, and
   other identities
  digital animation and other visualization media arts and sciences
  games and gaming, including for learning
  community development including the importance of art and culture
   districts
  mobile technologies, activity streams, and experience design
  cognitive and other dimensions of creativity, innovation, and
   scholarship

HASTAC 2015 will include plenary addresses, panel presentations
(variations detailed below), maker sessions, workshops, exhibitions,

performances and tech demos.

Proposals are sought for participant presentations in the following

categories:

  5-8 minute lightning talks
  15-20 minute talks
  curated panels (lightning talks, longer talks, curated
   conversation)
  project demos
  digital and/or print posters
  creative performances or exhibitions
  maker sessions or workshops

For each submission, we will need the following information from
you:

 1) complete contact information including valid phone, email, and
    institutional affiliation, if any;
 2) 500 word abstract of the work you would like to present that
    must discuss its relationship to the conference themes;
 3) any technical requirements or other support (including space
    requirements) that may be required for the presentation.  For
    exhibitions or other performances, please indicate any equipment
    that is absolutely required and that you cannot bring with you.
     In the event that we cannot guarantee access to the equipment,
    we regret that we may not be able to accept your proposal.

Digital and/or Print Posters Wanted!

Print posters (4 x 3’) and electronic posters (to be projected)
are solicited for emerging projects, ideas, and scholars. In
presenting your research with a poster, you should aim to use the
poster as a means for generating active discussion of your research.

Limit the text to about one-fourth of the poster space, and use
visuals (graphs, photographs, schematics, maps, etc.) to tell your
story.  Use the regular submission form, but indicate that you are
proposing a Poster by checking the appropriate box.

Maker Sessions & Workshops

Some room and resources will be provided for individuals or groups
to create informal maker spaces, where conference participants can
share, exchange, and experiment with new online tools, personal
fabrication technologies, open source electronics such as Arduino,
and other creative and learning devices and gadgets. To propose a
maker session or workshop, please use the standard submission form
and indicate that yours is a maker session. Please also tell
indicate how long the session requires!

All proposals will be peer-reviewed, but we regret that we cannot
provide detailed reviewer feedback. We welcome applications from
scholars at all stages of their careers from all disciplines and
fields, from private sector companies and public sector
organizations, from artists and public intellectuals, and from
networks and individuals.

/Submissions will be processed using EasyChair. If you do not
already have an EasyChair account, you will need to sign up for one
in order to submit a proposal./

If you have any questions or require more information, please e-mail
us at hastac2015 at gmail.com

[...]