[Humanist] 28.398 events: many and various

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Oct 15 07:49:00 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Subject: BigDat 2015: registration deadline 23 October

        Subject: Record linkage workshop, Sheffield, 4 Nov 2014

        Subject: MIREX Grand Challenge '14 User Experience (GC14UX):

        Subject: HASTAC 2015 CFP Deadline Extended to 10/31!

        Subject: 'Museums Beyond The Web' conference keynotes announced

        Subject: Call for Proposals: Digital Initiatives Symposium

        Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 09:46:14 +0000
        From: GRLMC <grlmc at urv.cat>

INTERNATIONAL WINTER SCHOOL ON BIG DATA

BigDat 2015
Tarragona, Spain
January 26-30, 2015

Organized by
Rovira i Virgili University

http://grammars.grlmc.com/bigdat2015/

--- 5th registration deadline: October 23, 2014 ---

AIM:

BigDat 2015 is a research training event for graduates and postgraduates in
the first steps of their academic career. It aims at updating them about the
most recent developments in the fast developing area of big data, which
covers a large spectrum of current exciting research, development and
innovation with an extraordinary potential for a huge impact on scientific
discoveries, medicine, engineering, business models, and society itself.
Renowned academics and industry pioneers will lecture and share their views
with the audience.

All big data subareas will be displayed, namely: foundations,
infrastructure, management, search and mining, security and privacy, and
applications. Main challenges of analytics, management and storage of big
data will be identified through 4 keynote lectures and 24 six-hour courses,
which will tackle the most lively and promising topics. The organizers
believe outstanding speakers will attract the brightest and most motivated
students. Interaction will be a main component of the event.

ADDRESSED TO:

Graduate and postgraduates from around the world. There are no formal
pre-requisites in terms of academic degrees. However, since there will be
differences in the course levels, specific knowledge background may be
required for some of them.

BigDat 2015 is also appropriate for more senior people who want to keep
themselves updated on recent developments and future trends. They will
surely find it fruitful to listen and discuss with major researchers,
industry leaders and innovators.

REGIME:

In addition to keynotes, 3 courses will run in parallel during the whole
event. Participants will be able to freely choose the courses they will be
willing to attend as well as to move from one to another.

VENUE:

BigDat 2015 will take place in Tarragona, located 90 kms. to the south of
Barcelona. The venue will be:

Campus Catalunya
Universitat Rovira i Virgili
Av. Catalunya, 35
43002 Tarragona

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS:

Ian Foster (Argonne National Laboratory), Taming Big Data: Accelerating
Discovery via Outsourcing and Automation

Geoffrey C. Fox (Indiana University, Bloomington), Mapping Big Data
Applications to Clouds and HPC

C. Lee Giles (Pennsylvania State University, University Park), Scholarly Big
Data: Information Extraction and Data Mining

William D. Gropp (University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign), tba

[...]

QUESTIONS AND FURTHER INFORMATION:

florentinalilica.voicu at urv.cat

POSTAL ADDRESS: