[Humanist] 28.386 PostGreSQL and Solr for digital archives

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Oct 11 08:41:15 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>         (37)
        Subject: Re:  28.383 PostGreSQL and Solr for digital archives?

  [2]   From:    Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>           (38)

  [3]   From:    Patricia Galloway <galloway at ischool.utexas.edu>            (8)
        Subject: Re: PostGreSQL and Solr for digital archives

        Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 15:53:32 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>

Hi Ashley,

Postgresql is a quality relational database that has been around a long
time. It's reliable and fast, but it is not a drop-in replacement for
eXist. Unlike eXist its support for XML is rudimentary. So I'm kind of
curious as to why this apparent shift away from XML.

Desmond Schmidt
Queensland University of Technology

On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 2:58 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <