[Humanist] 28.383 PostGreSQL and Solr for digital archives?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 10 06:58:42 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 23:35:05 +0000
        From: "Reed, Ashley" <reeda at email.unc.edu>
        Subject: PostGreSQL and Solr for digital archives

The William Blake Archive is in the process of migrating our site off of the eXist platform as part of a larger reimplementation and redesign project. Our partners have recommended that our next iteration employ PostGreSQL (for the web application) and Solr (for searching). We are curious to know whether other digital humanities projects (XML-based digital archives in particular) use this combination of platforms. Solr seems to be widely used for faceted searching, but we know less about PostGreSQL and would like to know if other projects have employed it and, if so, what your experiences have been.

Thanks in advance for information and advice.

Ashley Reed
Andrew W. Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow in Digital Humanities, Carolina Digital Humanities Initiative
Consultant, William Blake Archive