[Humanist] 28.373 an explanation of how bits of the world (don't) work

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Oct 6 07:08:59 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 10:33:24 +0100
        From: Norman Gray <norman at astro.gla.ac.uk>
        Subject: Re:  28.367 apologies for bad software

[Having received permission I pass the following explanation on. It does get me off the hook where I've been wriggling, but its value for everyone else is to reveal that parts of the world move at different speeds, or different states of wakefulness. It seems that I am on the far side of a groggy system :-(.
Yours,
WM]

Willard, hello.

[off-list, but if you want to forward this to the list, that's fine by me]

On 2014 Oct 3, at 06:59, Humanist Discussion Group <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk> wrote:

> This is yet again to apologise for illiterate software, somewhere in the
> many transformations which messages from Humanist undergo, that changed
> "Humanités numériques 2015: Identités, Pratiques et Théories" into
> "Humanit�s num�riques 2015: Identit�s, Pratiques et Th�ories". If memory
> serves this is not a problem within our powers to fix, but I am
> investigating. Stay tuned.

I believe this is not your fault; or indeed, stronger, this is not within your powers to fix.

First: apologies if you're already perfectly well aware of the following -- I mention it in case it fills in a small gap.

When the first message arrived with me, the characters appeared perfectly correctly.  In that message, the end of the headers and the beginning of the content looked like this:

[...]