[Humanist] 28.368 the mangling of subject-lines

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Oct 4 06:49:31 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (18)
        Subject: the bad news (probably) again

  [2]   From:    maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at unipmn.it>                   (20)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 28.367 apologies for bad software

        Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 05:42:46 +0100
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

Dear colleagues,

In case I have not reported this rather disappointing news before, or
not within the current span of living memory, I have a renewed response
about Humanist's software's mangling of accented characters in subject
lines from Malgosia Askanas, who looks after the technical side of this
operation:

>            Don't use special characters in the Subject line!
>
> Not only can't the mail interface handle them, but neither can
> Mailman, the listserver: as you no doubt saw, the latter didn't
> prepend the usual "[Humanist]" prefix to the subject  line.

Fists shaken at the screen would be an understandable response!

Group, University of Western Sydney