[Humanist] 28.512 the power of weak ties

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 24 07:05:12 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Dave Postles" <davep at davelinux.info>                     (60)
        Subject: Re:  28.511 the power of weak ties?

  [2]   From:    maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at gmail.com>                   (65)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 28.511 the power of weak ties?

        Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2014 09:21:50 -0000
        From: "Dave Postles" <davep at davelinux.info>

In the 1990s, I cited that paper by Granovetter in a paper in the Journal
of Interdisciplinary History when I was using Ucinet to examine social
networks (hard work in those days!).  The 'function' of social networks is
multifaceted.  The strength of weak ties is a counter-intuitive aspect,
like obtaining information about employment opportunities, an example
used, if I remember correctly, by Granovetter.  On the other hand, most of
us then were using SNA to discover density of networks for conditions like
support, solidarity, reciprocity etc.

--
http://www.historicalresources.myzen.co.uk (research and pedagogy)