[Humanist] 28.507 pubs: on crowdsourcing; on becoming a classics professor

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 21 08:45:47 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Gregory Crane <gregory.crane at tufts.edu>                   (41)
        Subject: Essay: "So you want to become a professor of Greek and/or
                Latin?"

  [2]   From:    Francisco Marcos =?utf-8?b?TWFyw61u?=                     (11)
                <francisco.marcos.marin at uam.es>
        Subject: Crowdsourcing

        Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:30:45 +0100
        From: Gregory Crane <gregory.crane at tufts.edu>
        Subject: Essay: "So you want to become a professor of Greek and/or Latin?"

For what its worth: it is the time of year when people apply for PhD
programs in Classics (and everything else). I wrote this essay because I
think that the Digital Humanities have now reached a point where anyone
who wants to start a Classics career now (and thus would, if just out of
college, be looking at a career that could run through 2060) really
needs to come to grips with the "digital turn". I don't know of any PhD
program for Greek and Latin that really addresses the challenges that we
face as we reinvent our field to flourish in the digital world of which
we are all already a part. (I am hoping to be buried with counter-examples!)

Gregory Crane*

  So you want to become a professor Greek and/or Latin? Think hard about
  a PhD in Digital Humanities.

Alexander von Humboldt Professor of Digital Humanities
Universität Leipzig
Professor of Classics
Winnick Family Chair of Technology and Entrepreneurship
Tufts University

I decided to write this piece because this is the time of year when
those who wish to become professional students of Greek and Latin are
deciding where they should apply for graduate schools. I am now starting
to see that the most interesting Phd projects on Greek and Latin are
taking place in PhD programs for the Digital Humanities and I think that
anyone who wishes to develop a career of sustained satisfaction needs to
think carefully about how they move forward. At the present time, I am
not aware of any traditional program in Greek and Latin that prepares
students for satisfying and sustainable careers.

This essay falls into three parts. First I suggest some words of
caution, including the well-known challenges about actually landing a
permanent faculty position, the amount of work that you will need to
commit if you want to maximize your chances for success and then, more
substantively, something about the actual work that supports faculty
Greek and Latin faculty positions in the United States and (much of)
Europe. The second section briefly touches upon some fundamental topics
that we must resolve if we are to rethink the study of Greek and Latin
(as I think we must if we are to survive, or perhaps even flourish): the
information that we produce, the knowledge that we internalize, the
values that we advance and the basis for the survival of our field. The
third section describes some topics that you will probably not find in a
standard program for Greek and Latin but that would greatly enhance your
ability to develop a sustainable career.

[for the rest: http://tinyurl.com/mwx6m35]*