[Humanist] 28.503 musical help received

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 21 08:32:48 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2014 08:08:48 -0500
        From: Francois Lachance <lachance at chass.utoronto.ca>
        Subject: Results of Musical Help

Willard,

component in Robin Blaser's Moth Poem, subscriber to Humanist conveyed
their daughter's suggestion that I pose the query to the American
Musicological Society list. A most fruitful suggestion.

It was with a bit of trepidation I trod on the turf of the experts. But I
was curious about what it might be that the poet Robin Blaser in The Moth
Poem presents as the penultimate section of his serial poem :

C D Eb G A Bb B D

What I proposed the AMS-list: What I am trying to determine is whether
Blaser is citing an existing piece of music, inventing something, or
translating (i.e. modifying something that exists). The musical
"quotation" occurrs before the final section of the poem which is devoted
to the figure of the translator.

Results:

I was kindly disabused of the notion that the letters represented chords.
(Ever so nicely done off list: "Those notes are probably not chords per
se, but some fragment of melody.  If they were chords it would sound
something like smashing your entire hand on the piano, a cluster of
pitches rather than a chord with meaning (which can exist in modern music
but is rare in music overall").

The series of pitches is not connected to Ravel (WWW keyword searches had
revealed A possible allusion to Ravel's _Miroirs_ of which the first
movement is Noctuelles ("Night Moths") but the evidence is negative for a
citing of the Ravel)..

Likewise for a direct connection to Pierrot Luniare, a set of poems by
Albert Giraud set to music by Arnold Schoenberg.

The series of pitches may represent the notes that the author heard as a
moth touched the strings of a piano. See posting from Eric Grunin
(grunin.com). This is a very elegant solution -- in an Occam's Razor
fashion.

Bonus: Harrison Birtwistle set the poem to music in the "The Moth
Requiem". Question remains if Birtwistle took up the pitch-row given at
the end of the Blaser poem in his "Requiem".

Other searches uncovered a possible intertext for the Blaser
poem in the verse of Don Marquis (http://www.donmarquis.org/themoth.htm).
Blaser is likely to have known this item of the popular culture. BTW I first
encountered Archy and Mehitabel through the music and stories of Rosalie
Sorrels (Always A Lady).

An abundance of riches, gratefully acknowledged. And a testament to the
onoging value of discussion lists.

Francois Lachance, Scholar-at-large
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~lachance

to think is often to sort, to store and to shuffle: humble, embodied tasks