[Humanist] 28.482 practical introduction to digital humanities?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Nov 11 07:11:18 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 16:33:48 +0000
        From: "Charles E. Jones" <cejo at UCHICAGO.EDU>
        Subject: Syllabi

[The following is from the Digital Classicist list. It raises the question of whether or to what degree meaningful skills can be taught by online tutorial, especially in cases in which there's no feedback. What strikes me as more useful or good as a necessary companion would be something like a contribution to the OUP Very Short Introduction series of books. Comments welcome. --WM]

Last April I asked if anyone had taught courses (at the undergraduate level) in digital antiquity tools and skills and if so whether they would share share syllabi, or point to places where they're online.

There were some interesting and useful responses, and I'm still interested in what you may have to offer

 What I guess I was hoping for is something along the lines of

The Programming Historian http://programminghistorian.org

"The Programming Historian is an online, open access, peer reviewed suite of about 30 tutorials that help humanists (though slanted towards historians) learn a wide range of digital tools, techniques, and workflows to facilitate their research. Despite the name, we do not focus exclusively on programming, but rather aim to provide guidance on a variety of digital methods and approaches."

There does not seem to be anything specifically related to Classics or Antiquity there yet, so I'd urge those of you who have such things to contribute them if you can.

Thanks,

-Chuck-