[Humanist] 28.67 how digital projects end

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 30 23:44:36 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 29 May 2014 17:13:21 -0400
        From: "Holly C. Shulman" <hcs8n at virginia.edu>
        Subject: Re:  28.64 how digital projects end

Perhaps we should not expect "no effort at all" as platforms change and so
on etc.  The question, it seems to me, is not whether they require any
human effort at all -- but who expends that effort, what is the level of
that effort, and and so on.  I should think the goal should be to finish
and publish, but then to expect, like books in a library, there will be
some human effort still required such as shelving and reshelving to allow
for easy use, and dealing with books that have become torn, brittle, etc.
Again, I think PROJECTS should end, hand their work over to a publisher or
institutional repository, and move on to the next project, research topic,
publication.

Cheers,

Holly C. Shulman

--