[Humanist] 28.57 computers in pop culture in the 1960s

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue May 27 01:03:57 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 06:37:43 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: Article on Sixties Computers in pop culture in	"The Onion's AV Club"

[forwarded from SIGCIS --WM]

-------- Original Message --------
> Subject: 	[SIGCIS-Members] Article on Sixties Computers in pop culture
in "The Onion's AV Club"
> Date: 	Mon, 26 May 2014 10:16:03 -0400
> From: 	Andrew Meade McGee <amm5ae at virginia.edu>

I thought I would bring to the list's attention the article "The
Monoliths: 17 Supercomputers from the ’60s," about portrayals of
Sixties-era computers in media, just posted on The Onion's AV Club website:

< http://www.avclub.com/article/monoliths-17-supercomputers-60s-204736 >

The AV Club being widely read and reblogged among a certain net-savvy
demographic, you might see variations or commentaries on this topic
popping up around the web or on social media in the next few days. Nice
opportunity for historians of computing to engage with a
popularly-generated discussion of computers in cultural imagination.

Best,
Andrew