[Humanist] 28.55 how do digital projects end?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue May 27 00:37:58 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 10:30:41 -0700
        From: Martin Holmes <mholmes at uvic.ca>
        Subject: Existing work on bringing digital projects to a close?

Hi all,

I'm interested in learning about any previous published work which
directly addresses the issue of how you bring a digital project to a
definitive end. By this I don't mean the standard advice on how to
choose data formats that have a good chance of long-term support, or how
to get your metadata into central repositories; I'm interested in what
happens, or what should happen, if you decide that you're done with a
project and no more work will be done on it, and yet you want to do your
best to ensure that the project itself (not just the texts or the data
or the metadata, but also a web application that might run it, its
history, its documentation and so on) might have a good chance of
survival beyond the lifetime of the technologies and platforms on which
it happens to run. Does anyone know of good work in this area?

Best regards,
Martin