[Humanist] 28.52 events: digital philology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 23 22:11:33 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 18:01:26 +0200
        From: "Mr. Federico Caria" <federico.caria at live.it>
        Subject: events: Digital philology round table; Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei

Digital Philology: problems and perspectives, 6 June, Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, Rome.attachment: http://www.lincei.it/files/convegni/1138_invito.pdf

It is now a well established fact that computers have both extraordinarily increased the accessibility to texts and aided scholars in dealing with some problematic nodes of the traditional editorial activity (not by chance, "quantitative" problems, like indexes, concordances, rhyming dictionaries, automatic search of occurrences, etc..). On the other hand, one may wonder if it is time to move on to a new phase, that is, to ask ourselves if the rational use of the machine, in order to unfold its full potential, may also require the development of totally new heuristic procedures. This would involve re-discussing the methods and the foundations, i.e. the analytical categories that we have inherited and are passively used without a proper critical awareness. For example: what do we mean exactly by 'text'? And what exactly is the edition? even more: what exactly is the alphabet?

On the occasion of this roundtable discussion, held in the beautiful Accademia Nazionale dei Lincei, we will discuss about all of these issues with Prof. Tito ORLANDI (Director of Centro Linceo Interdisciplinare “Beniamino Segre”), and Raoul MORDENTI (Università di Roma Tor Vergata), basing on a concrete example of philological practice: the edition of Boccaccio's autograph manuscript, Zibaldone Laurenziano.

We welcome the participation of: Attilio BARTOLI LANGELI (Istituto Storico Italiano per il Medio Evo)
Marco CURSI (Sapienza, Università di Roma)

Paolo MASTRANDREA (Università Ca’Foscari,Venezia)

Ilaria BONINCONTRO (Centro Linceo)

Domenico FIORMONTE (Università di Roma Tre)

Paolo MONELLA (Università di Palermo)

Please, contact cevangelista at lincei.it if you have any question.
Best regards