[Humanist] 28.47 effects on classical scholarship?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu May 22 21:57:42 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 10:43:34 +0200
        From: Matteo Romanello <matteo.romanello at gmail.com>
        Subject: Effects of electronic concordance systems on classical scholarship

Dear all,

While working on my PhD dissertation I found myself looking for
bibliographic references to studies on the effects of electronic tools, and
especially electronic concordance systems (e.g. Ibycus, TLG, PHI,  Index
Thomisticus, etc.), on classical scholarship.

Although there is some awareness among scholars in the field about the fact
that such tools inevitably shape research and its (future) directions,
there doesn't seem to be, to the best of my knowledge, any specific study
on the topic.

It does happen, however, from time to time to encounter passages where
classicists do reflect on their use of digital tools and on how this has an
impact on their work. In absence of more specific studies, these passages
are real gems insofar as they document the changing practices of those
working on classical texts.

A good example of what I'm looking for is provided by D. Fowler: in his
article "On the Shoulders of Giants: Intertextuality and Classical Studies"
(1997, pp. 20-24) he gives a detailed account of his searches on the PHI
electronic corpus to explore the intertextual parallels between the end of
book 10 of Silius' Punica and the Aeneid.

And I'm inclined to believe that there exist other similar accounts out
there, perhaps buried in footnotes, of which I'm just not aware. Therefore,
I'd greatly appreciate If anyone on this list can suggest further
references on this topic.

Best,
Matteo Romanello

Matteo Romanello