[Humanist] 28.28 when the model becomes the object of study?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 16 05:02:04 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 12:53:22 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: when the model becomes the object of study?

The question I have to ask here may seem to some (I could name a few)
proof conclusive that I've gone over to the Dark Side permanently, but I
see it flooding a potential future with energizing light. So here goes.

Does anyone know of computationally inflected research in the humanities
or social sciences in which the model has itself become the object of
study because from that model may be inferred knowledge about the
original artefact that cannot be obtained directly from it?