[Humanist] 28.25 pubs: book on open standards; cfp for new journal: Localities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu May 15 02:49:00 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Ezra Yoo-Hyeok Lee <hyeok25 at yahoo.com>                    (73)
        Subject: CFP for International Journal Localities

  [2]   From:    Andrew Russell <arussell at stevens.edu>                     (24)
        Subject: New book: Open Standards and the Digital Age

        Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 00:14:51 -0700 (PDT)
        From: Ezra Yoo-Hyeok Lee <hyeok25 at yahoo.com>

Dear colleagues,

I want to draw your attention to our CFP attached in this email. The
Humanities Korea (HK) research team of the Korean Studies Institute (KSI) at
Pusan National University (Busan, Korea) has been undertaking a project
called "Locality and Humanities," supported by National Research Foundation
of Korea and Pusan National University since 2007. In 2011 we decided to
publish an international journal, Localities, in hopes of communicating and
exchanging prospects, theories, and methodologies of humanities-based
locality studies with domestic and foreign scholars and activists.
Localities has been serving as a forum in which scholars around the world
can share results of their humanities-based locality studies and relevant
discursive arguments. Some of the scholars who participated in this project
include Walter Mignolo, Arif Dirlik, Jeff Malpas, Fujio Mizuoka, Takahiro
Nakajima, Jacques Levy, Thierry Paquot, and Angelika Epple. Please widely
circulate the Call for Papers attached here. We hope that many of you may
join us in this exciting project by submitting your articles! Please check
the attached files that contain the detail of the Call for Papers.
All the best to all of you.
Ezra Yoo-Hyeok Lee.

Call for Papers: the 4th issue of Localities

Localities is an interdisciplinary journal aimed at developing new theories
and practices in the humanities and related disciplines, with an emphasis on
local people, society, culture, and nature. It seeks to highlight various
aspects of newly emerging relations occurring on the level of the local and
the global as well as the national. People, commodities, and knowledge can
move across/beyond diverse forms of boundaries due to the rapid development
of information technology and the intensification of globalization. New
theories and practices in the humanities are required to explain such
trans-phenomena and also to suggest possible solutions to socio-economic,
cultural, political, and environmental problems resulting from the
transnational and trans-local dissemination of people, commodities,
knowledge, etc. We welcome innovative or critical articles dealing with
specific topics, including trans-locality, multiculturalism, hybridity,
“in-betweenness,”and post-humanism, and also theoretical ones on basic
theories and methodologies of locality or trans-locality.

1. Formal Articles

Focused Issues

New or Critical Theories and Practices on the Following Subjects:․Trans-locality, Liminality, “In-betweenness”
․Hybridity, Multiculturalism, Post-humanism

General Topics

Various Subjects on the Foundations and Practices of Humanities-oriented Locality
(HOL):
․Theories and Methodologies of HOL
․Empirical Studies on Local or Trans-local Phenomena
․Practices or Movements for Solving Various Local and/or Trans-local Problems

2. Local Stories

Local stories are about various local issues, events and ideas which are not
presented in formal papers. However, they are not limited to a particular
locality, but can be extended to include such topics as trans-localities, “in-between”
localities and nations or global societies. Any local stories are
appropriate for the 4th issue of Localities.

3. Book Reviews

Classic or new books on locality or translocality can be reviewed. Please submit your
reviews via email at hk.localities at gmail.com.

Information for authors

Academic Papers should not exceed 12,000 words including an abstract of 150 words or less and
5-6 key words. They also should be prepared according to the rules for the
manuscripts. Please refer to the Author Guidelines in the journal’s website
(www.localities.kr) for the details. The accepted papers will be guaranteed
1,000,000 KRW as an honorarium.

Local Stories should not exceed 2,000 words and could include 5 or less photos and figures.
(200,000 KRW as an honorarium)

Book Reviews should not exceed 1,500 words and there are no rules in writing a book review.
(200,000 KRW as an honorarium)

Others

․Copyrights of all contributions will be reserved to the publishing institute of
the journal.
․All honoraria will be paid in USD and the exact payment will be subject to the current exchange rates.

For further information and manuscript submission,
email us at hk.localities at gmail.com

Deadline for Submission: September 30, 2014