[Humanist] 28.17 pubs: joyously on quantification

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon May 12 00:57:27 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 08:49:00 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: quantification

Occasionally one runs across a book so good that it provokes eruptive
joy and surging optimism for the life of the embodied mind -- despite
the current condition of the institutions founded to support it. Once
such, which I cannot recommend strongly enough, is Alfred W. Crosby, The
Measure of Reality: Quantification and Western Society 1250-1600
(Cambridge 1997). I would have (at cost to myself in hard labour) this
one define the bar beneath which books submitted for publication would
be sent back to the authors for more work.

But let us celebrate the few good ones.