[Humanist] 27.1027 events: Silences of Science

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue May 6 21:11:32 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 18:24:44 +0000
        From: "Mellor, Felicity" <f.mellor at IMPERIAL.AC.UK>
        Subject: silences of science conference

The Silences of Science: Patterns of silence and contemplation in the work of scientists

A one day conference at Imperial College London. 12th June 2014.

Current research policy also rewards the most communicative scientists. But are there times when we shouldn't communicate - when communication might be damaging to science or when staying silent might be more productive? Are there limits to how open science should be? Equally, are scientists too often silenced in public debate? Just some of the questions to be explored in a series of panel debates at this conference. Panelists include Professor Sir Brian Hoskins (Director of the Grantham Institute for Climate Change), Professor James Wilsdon (Professor of Science and Democracy at the University of Sussex), Professor Kevin Anderson (Director of the Tyndall Energy Programme), and the scientist-turned-playwright Dr Hassan Abdulrazzak.

The programme and registration form can be found at http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/humanities/sciencecommunicationgroup/research/silencesofscience.

All are welcome. There is no conference fee. If you would like to attend, please email a completed registration form to f.mellor at imperial.ac.uk<mailto:f.mellor at imperial.ac.uk> by 23rd May.

We hope you are able to join us for some lively debate and lots of talk about not talking!