[Humanist] 27.1021 job at Milan: research fellow in language resources & NLP
Humanist Discussion Group
willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon May 5 20:02:40 CEST 2014
Humanist Discussion Group, Vol. 27, No. 1021.
Department of Digital Humanities, King's College London
Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 16:12:07 +0000
From: Passarotti Marco Carlo <marco.passarotti at unicatt.it>
Subject: Job announcement: Research Fellow in Milan (Italy)
The CIRCSE Research Centre, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore (Milan, Italy), invites applications for a full-time, fixed-term Research Fellow position in the area of language resources and natural language processing.
THE RESEARCH CENTRE
The CIRCSE Research Centre (http://centridiricerca.unicatt.it/circse_index.html) is the official acknowledgement of the former GIRCSE, which was founded by father Roberto Busa SJ, the author of the Index Thomisticus and one of the pioneers in humanities computing.
The research centre hosts the Index Thomisticus Treebank project and maintains a number of NLP tools and language resources, mostly for Classical languages.
The successful candidate will manage the computer science related aspects of the CIRCSE research activities and projects.
In particular, the candidate will develop/re-use software to support research activity in the area of text analysis, implementation and exploitation of language resources such as treebanks and lexica. She/he will be in charge of the processing pipeline for storing, analyzing, retrieving and annotating digital collections, including (but not limited to) literary and philosophical texts written in Classical languages.
- programming skills: C++ or Java, Python or Perl
- regular expressions
- good knowledge of English
- PhD in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Computational Linguistics
- setup and usage of SQL and no-SQL DB systems
- processing semi-structured data (for instance, XQuery)
- basic administration of an Apache web server
- designing and developing web-based applications
- methods and tools for natural language processing
- attested research experience in computational linguistics and, particularly, in developing language resources
- basics of theoretical linguistics
- duration: the post is available for up to two years (1 year + 1 year)
- salary for the first year: 19,370 Euros (1,470 monthly, after taxes)
- starting date: September 1st, 2014
HOW TO APPLY
The full announcement and the application form can be downloaded at http://progetti.unicatt.it/progetti-assegni-di-ricerca-legge-240-2010-art-22-presentazione-1122. See under "Decreto rettorale n. 960 del 5 maggio 2014".
In particular, see the job description reported between the bottom of page 3 and the top of page 4 in the full announcement here: http://progetti.unicatt.it/progetti-Bando_960.pdf.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: June 4th, 2014
DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK FOR HELP!
Although fluency in Italian is not a requirement, documents for application are in Italian.
Informal enquiries about this position should be sent to Dr. Marco Passarotti (marco.passarotti at unicatt.it).
More information about the Humanist