[Humanist] 28.123 how to help PhDs without permanent academic jobs

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jun 14 22:17:23 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 14:55:23 +0200
        From: Hartmut Krech <kr538 at uni-bremen.de>
        Subject: How to help PhDs without permanent academic jobs

With permission from Professor Eleanor Dickey, I forward
her message to CLASSICISTS-L with the results of her survey
concerning unemployed PhDs in the humanities (please see
Humanist-L 27.959). Please address Prof. Dickey directly
through the link to her website given below.
Regards,
Hartmut Krech

The results of the survey on what could be done to help PhDs
without permanent academic jobs are in; you can find them at
http://hortensii.wordpress.com/. It turns out that there are
quite a few things that could easily be done and would make
a big difference to people in this unpleasant situation, and
many of them would not even require money, so the next step
is to do them. Therefore I would be very grateful if people
could volunteer to help with this project, and/or put their
names on the web site as endorsing it, and/or publicize the
project and its web site in whatever ways you can.

I would also be grateful if everyone who forwarded the
original surveys to any e-mail list or other group could
also forward this message.

Let me also take this opportunity to thank most sincerely
all the people who have helped so far: the people who took
time to respond to the survey, the ones who wrote long
detailed comments, the ones who read successive drafts of
the report and found the mistakes in it, and particularly
the Classics department at the University of Reading for
their enthusiastic support.

Eleanor Dickey
Professor of Classics, University of Reading, UK
Messages to the list are archived at
http://listserv.liv.ac.uk/archives/classicists.html