[Humanist] 28.80 HTML5 vs XML

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jun 3 23:02:18 CEST 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 04:16:38 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  28.79 events: HTML5 and XML

This looked like just another conference announcement, until I read the
program. When you do, you realise that this is an open discussion about
whether or not XML is now to be regarded as a "legacy" technology.
(Their words, not mine). The problem is caused by the key transformation
XML->HTML. This no longer appears to work well if the "HTML" bit is
HTML5. So it would appear that XML is no longer a convenient format for
digital humanities texts, and this inconvenience is likely to grow
greater in years to come, since HTML is now free to follow its own path.
Although this problem is not news in itself, talking about it openly, is.

The maintenance of XML tools also appears to be under threat, since the
software industry that controls them now has much less interest in their
existence. As everyone knows, XML is being used less and less for Web
application development. But this rupture with HTML5 means that it also
seems to be failing as a mixed content technology.

Desmond Schmidt
Queensland University of Technology

On Tue, Jun 3, 2014 at 6:39 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <