[Humanist] 27.742 philosophy of algorithms and searching?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jan 27 09:45:31 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 07:49:27 -0500
        From: Victoria Scott <victoriahfscott at gmail.com>
        Subject: Sources on the philosophy of algorithms and searching

Hello!

I am very interested in the way algorithms are being used to predict
consumer, political, psychological behavior, and I am wondering what the
key texts are on the subject. I would like to have a sense of the breadth
of the discussion, both pro and con, if poss.

Also it has come to my attention that searching is really the essence of
the Internet, in a literal and also philosophical sense, and I would also
like know if people have some interesting suggestions for that subject.

Thank you,
Victoria H.F. Scott

*Theodore Randall International Chair in Art and DesignAlfred UniversityThe
Art History Guild <https://sites.google.com/site/thearthistoryguild/>*