[Humanist] 27.739 digital knowledge

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jan 26 09:57:07 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 10:34:17 -0600
        From: Paul Fishwick <metaphorz at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  27.733 digital knowledge

From the standpoint of someone working in both analog and digital computing,
I’d like to suggest subsequent, and perhaps more intense, discussion on what is being
proposed as “digital knowledge.” Despite the digital underpinnings of modern
computer architectures, humans are primarily analog due to our physiology. An
example can be seen in the desktop metaphor separating us from the computer
operating system. In the illusion that we are “copying File X into Folder Y”, most of
us have found that the apparently continuous dragging of icon representing X
into an icon representing Y results in the copy operation. There is nothing digital
about this from the human’s perspective — the underlying computer architecture is
digital by definition and design, but does that mean that if quantum computation
appears on the scene as early as tomorrow, the field you have developed will become
quantum humanities whose purpose is to investigate quantum knowledge?

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Chair, ACM SIGSIM
Distinguished Chair of Arts & Technology
   and Professor of Computer Science
Director, Creative Automata Laboratory
The University of Texas at Dallas
Arts & Technology