[Humanist] 27.712 Digital Humanities Israel

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jan 17 11:56:36 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 17:08:07 +0000
        From: Sinai Rusinek <Sinair at vanleer.org.il>
        Subject: Digital Humanities Israel

Dear all,

Having been (somewhat enviously) following this list for quite some time now, I am delighted to finally make a happy announcement, introduce DHIsrael<http://www.thedigin.org/en/> to the members of this list, and tell you a little about our past and present activity.

During 2013, a Digital Humanities initiative supported by seed money from the Van Leer Jerusalem Institute, worked to expose the field to Israeli audiences and to connect the people interested in various aspects of DH with each other and with scholars from abroad. With additional sponsorship and help from the National Library, the School of Philosophy and Religions at the Hebrew University and the Science, Technology and Society department at Bar-Ilan university, we organized four events: a conference on Hebrew Manuscripts in the Digital Age<http://www.thedigin.org/2013/04/25/%D7%9B%D7%AA%D7%91-%D7%94%D7%99%D7%93-%D7%94%D7%A2%D7%91%D7%A8%D7%99-%D7%91%D7%A2%D7%99%D7%93%D7%9F-%D7%94%D7%93%D7%99%D7%92%D7%99%D7%98%D7%9C%D7%99/> (in Hebrew), a workshop on Text and Textuality in the Digital Age<http://www.thedigin.org/workshop-program-text-and-textuality-in-the-digital-age/>, a conference and workshop titled "Scholarly use of Web archives - Studying Israeli Politics on the Web<http://www.thedigin.org/scholarly-use-of-web-archives-studying-israeli-politics-on-the-web/>", and a workshop on the use of Computer Technology in the Study of Historical Networks<http://www.thedigin.org/historical_networks/>. The talks from the two latter events are in English and available online.

A community of interest that started to form in these meetings grew quickly with the help of our Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/groups/DHIsrael/> and Meet-up<http://www.meetup.com/Digital-Humanities-Israel/events/155930622/> groups, and in the end of 2013 we established the DHIsrael association. Starting January 2014 DHIsrael holds a monthly event that will be dedicated to certain theme or subfield of the digital humanities, each taking place in a different location. In addition, the first THATcamp<http://haifa2014.thatcamp.org/> in the area, also named the Ben-Yehuda Hackathon<http://haifa2014.thatcamp.org/>, will take place next month in Haifa.

As a DH community, we may be late bloomers, still devoid of funding sources and still struggling with the challenges of Right-to-Left scripts, but the near future looks promising for DH in Israel and around it.  In the meantime, we will be happy to meet any Digital Humanists who happen to drop by - please contact us if you plan to be here!
Happy 2014 from Jerusalem,
Sinai

Sinai Rusinek
Polonsky post-doctoral fellow