[Humanist] 27.709 more on "what is a word?"

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jan 17 11:54:33 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:11:52 -0600 (CST)
        From: Clai Rice <cxr1086 at louisiana.edu>
        Subject: Re: what is a word?

----- Original Message -----
> Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 15:13:46 +0000
> From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
> Subject: what is a word?
>
> In discussions of text-analysis the question of what a word is tends
> to come up. I've recently stumbled on a discussion of this question in
> the collection of papers on linguistics kept by the Sussex Department of
> English. See
> http://www.sussex.ac.uk/english/creativearts/publications/linguisticspapers.
> Others to be recommended?

R. M. W. Dixon & Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald (eds.), Word: a cross-linguistic typology. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002.

This volume is useful for an advanced introduction to the difficulties of defining the term 'word' for linguistics. It does not systematically consider issues of computation, text analysis or orthography.

Clai Rice