[Humanist] 27.701 TAPoR tools?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jan 14 07:11:03 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 12:29:18 -0700
        From: Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel at ualberta.ca>
        Subject: TAPoR 2.0

TAPoR 2.0 (http://tapor.ca) needs your help:

1. Historical Tools
We have been reviewing historical tools (73 at last count.) The idea is to create a record of the innovative text analysis instruments developed. We need your help to improve this. See http://tapor.ca/tools/filterbytag?tag=legacy

If you were involved in one of these tools or used them we would appreciate corrections, suggestions, or comments.

2. Ratings and Tweets
We need your help rating tools and commenting on them. Our tool Ratings are now shown by Google. (Try Googling for "Voyant Tools" and you will see examples.) You can also Tweet a tool or recommend it on Google +.

If you have used a tool we have an entry for, please rate it and/or leave a comment. Encourage your students to do so too. The developers appreciate the feedback.

3. Adding Tools
If you know of a text analysis tool we haven't created an entry for you can now create a draft entry that will show up as a draft entry. We will then review it.

4. Exposing our Data
We now expose data about each tool in a structured way for search engines or other uses. Contact us if you want to scrape our tool information. We are happy to have other tool sites subsume our entries if it helps the community.

5. Peer Reviews
We are developing ideas for true peer-review of tools and curated lists of recommended tools. We would like to hear from people who have ideas on how this can be done, would like to review tools, or would like to curate a list.

People have complained that tool development isn't recognized academic work. TAPoR and other projects like Bamboo DiRT (http://dirt.projectbamboo.org/) are trying to provide places for the discovery and review of tools. Help us support those who develop the tools we use.

Best,

Geoffrey Rockwell