[Humanist] 27.689 intro to programming at TAMU

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jan 9 08:28:33 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 23:03:31 -0600
        From: Laura Mandell <laura.mandell at gmail.com>
        Subject: Intro to Humanities Programming Class

PLEASE ANNOUNCE:

Programming for Humanists: A Continuing Education Course offered by the
Initiative for Digital Humanities, Media, and Culture at Texas A&M
University.

Teachers: Laura Estill, Laura Mandell, Matthew Christy, Violeta Ilik (for
TEI and XSLT), Quinn Dombrowski and Dave Rettenmaier (for Drupal), Luis
Meneses (for Processing).

Yes, yes, we know: this semester's offerings are not really "programming"
but coding.  We begin with code but move onto programming in subsequent
semesters.  Please send us your non-coding humanists: this is a very
gentle, and, we hope, welcoming introduction.

*Course Description*: We will explore the role of XML (eXtensible Markup
Language) and XSLT (eXtensible Stylesheet Language Transformations,
themselves XML documents) in digital library and digital humanities
projects. We will be teaching best practices in the process of building
digital editions and their metadata: TEI (the set of XML tags created by
the Text Encoding Initiative), RDF (Resource Description Framework), and
XSLT. This course aims to teach librarians, scholars, and those involved in
creating digital editions of texts, digital archives, eBooks, and digital
cultural heritage exhibits a scripting language that allows for easy
manipulation of metadata, pictures, and text, making it possible to create
eBooks, websites of images along with keyed texts, databases, and online
finding aids. Additionally, we will help people transfer their TEI
documents into open-source content management systems to create websites
(Wordpress, Omeka) and online databases (Drupal).  Finally, we will begin
teaching this semester some programming languages such as Processing which
allows for visualizing data.  Furthermore, the course helps people confront
the sometimes very difficult editing questions raised by encoding materials
in TEI as well as to understand how to troubleshoot and debug their XSLTs:
toward the end of the semester, we ask students to bring their problems to
class and then all work together to solve them.

*Syllabus*

The current class Syllabus is available at

http://www.programming4HUManists.org/XSLTClassSchedule.html

*Course Requirements and Results*

Anyone can attend the course *for free* through videoconference or google
hangouts.  However, to receive a training certificate in the areas covered,
one must enroll via the Texas A&M Continuing Education Program at the
following costs:

1.     $1,300 per semester per individual

2.     $2,500 per program (up to and including 5 attendees)

3.     For members of the Texas Digital Humanities Consortium, the costs is
$750 per individual or $1,500 per program (5 attendees).

Participants only need to enroll in order to receive the certificate
because the course is “pass” (for attending) / “fail” (for not).

*Meeting Details*

This course will meet for two hours every Friday morning, 9:00 am to 11:00
am U.S. Central time, every Friday except TAMU Spring Break and Good
Friday, between January 17 and May 2, 2014.  The schedule of topics and
readings is available here: http://www.programming4HUManists.org

--
Laura Mandell
Director, Initiative for Digital Humanities, Media, and Culture
e: idhmc at tamu.edu
@mandellc
http://idhmc.tamu.edu