[Humanist] 27.677 digital history: U.S. presidential conversations

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 07:16:46 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 16:30:09 -0500
        From: "Holly C. Shulman" <hcs8n at virginia.edu>
        Subject: Re:  27.669 digital history workshopalooza

Dear Willard,

Having just come across this comment/question in regard to “digital history
workshopalooza” at the 2014 AHA I would like to take the opportunity to
point interested readers to another session that took place on Friday at
the same convention.  Entitled “Historians, Journalists, Documentary
Editors, and the Challenges of Getting It Right: Nixon and China” it
included one award winning instance of the possibilities of digital
history/digital archives.  David Coleman, editor of the Nixon Tapes located
at the Miller Center at UVA, participated in this round table and shared
with the audience the complexities and solutions of presenting taped (in
this case in the White House) conversations, or oral documents, in ways
impossible to render in a traditional print publication.  The tapes and
transcripts can be accessed at:
http://millercenter.org/presidentialrecordings.  For a taste of how the
Nixon recordings will look and function once fully published, its sister
publication, the Johnson White House tapes, can be accessed at:
http://presidentialrecordings.rotunda.upress.virginia.edu/. Coleman’s work
demonstrates an instance of digital technology/digital humanities married
to serious scholarship.  The result is something new that I believe digital
historians and digital humanists should be aware of.

I look forward to any comments by your readers.

With thanks,

Holly Shulman

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <

--
Holly C. Shulman
Editor, Dolley Madison Digital Edition
hcs8n at virginia.edu