[Humanist] 27.676 lower-cost technology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jan 6 07:12:22 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Dave Postles" <davep at davelinux.info>                     (56)
        Subject: Re:  27.673 lower-cost technology

  [2]   From:    "Dave Postles" <davep at davelinux.info>                      (1)
        Subject: RPi and technology

        Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 14:20:04 -0000
        From: "Dave Postles" <davep at davelinux.info>

Mea culpa again then.  My information was from one of the Linux
(Format/User & Developer) magazines a few months ago.

FWIW, I think that we need to see more of Linux/BSD on the desktop, which
may well come about as new economic powers and developing nations have
their 'national' distros in their educational systems (Brazil, Venezuela,
Russia, Philippines).  These young people will be encouraged to explore
the full power of OpenSource, including Python.  I suspect that our
reliance on proprietary systems in the far west will merely prolong
consumer compliance.

Access is just one side of an equation, of course, but it is important to
bring down the cost.  It is most important of all to equalize access.
Part of the development of low-cost technology will, again, be the
stimulation of access in the wider world, which will generate wider
appreciation of the technology and its being opened up in all senses.