[Humanist] 27.672 girls and computing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Jan 5 10:49:47 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2014 15:02:29 +1100
        From: Suzana Sukovic <suzana.sukovic at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  27.667 why don't girls compute?

Willard and all,

The question is still pertinent as we all know. Before I say something
about the question and possible answers, I have to say I am not not a
programmer, but I've been involved with IT and teaching for a long time.

Firstly, the question itself. "Compute" means to use computers. Girls do
"compute" nowadays. However, they code and design IT systems less
frequently. In the last 20 years the everyday use has changed, but a major
difference between males and females in their involvement with IT has
remained.

It seems there are a few factors at play, roughly around 3 connected areas:
1. Girls' interests
2. Cultural issues around gender and geek cultures
3. The way computers are presented and taught.

I won't dissect them all, but I'd like to mention briefly the issue of
interest in and value of "soft skills". Girls are often more interested in
people than in machines. Social aspects of learning are very important to
teenage girls. Women in computing tend to deal with issues of use and
interaction with computers more frequently than men. However, "soft" skills
and approaches to teaching computers are usually seen as less valuable than
"hard" ones.

Our understanding of computers is, hopefully, reaching a point when we can
start to appreciate complexities of factors underpinning computer use. As
it happens at this time of the year, I have read numerous futuristic
predictions recently. Many of them are about technology in our time. And
most are wrong. In order to make more accurate predictions about IT
(arising from better understanding), we need more humanities and social
sciences - more "soft" skills. It isn't necessarily about women in IT, but
it is about skills women often have. More importantly, it is about a
perception of what matters and what is valued. It is also about recognising
a range of skills as IT-related and fostering them adequately.

On a more practical note, what can be done to enhance girls' engagement
with IT? It has to start early. High school is a good time to engage girls
or make sure their interests aren't lost under peer and other social
pressures. Ongoing discussions about DH education are focused on
universities, but it starts or should start much earlier.

A few suggestions:

   - Avoid a "one size fits all" approach. In my school we run digital
   storytelling workshops, Minecraft club and started a simple game-coding
   workshop. Different students attend all these activities and discover
   different abilities in the process. Most students, male and female, see
   computers as a tool. Show them how they can "compute" to do something they
   want to do.
   - Build interest and confidence - the biggest surprise to girls who made
   a leap of faith when they joined the coding workshop is that they can do
   it. Now we talk about doing more coding. We'll see how it goes, but they
   are excited to give it a go.
   - Change a "cool" factor - nerds, geeks and alike aren't cool among the
   majority of teenage girls I see every day. I believe it can be changed. A
   few schools and clubs aren't enough, but all contributions count to build a
   momentum.

Ideas and suggestions on and off the list are most welcome.
Regards,
Suzana

Dr Suzana Sukovic
*Head of Learning Resource Centre*
St Vincent's College|Locked Bag 2700|Potts Point, NSW, 1335
Tel: (02) 9368 1611 ext 215|Fax: (02) 9356 2118
*Research Associate, The University of Sydney*
*Co-Chair, ALIA Research Advisory Committee*
Contact Me [image:
LinkedIn] http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Flinkd.in%2Fg2F4gu
[image:
Facebook] http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FSuzanaSukovic%23!%2F
[image:
Twitter]  http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsuzanasukovic

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 5:29 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <