[Humanist] 27.664 lower-cost technology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Jan 3 10:24:47 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2014 15:25:41 +0000
        From: "Brookes, Stewart" <stewart.brookes at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: lower-cost technology

Hi Dave,

>        Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2014 12:03:42 -0000
>        From: "Dave Postles" <davep at davelinux.info>
>        Subject: lower-cost technology
>
> What are people's opinions about the potential impact of lower-cost kit on
> digital learning?

I'm not so interested in super-cheap clones of stuff we already have, except that
it, of course, increases access. More exciting is the kind of kit that encourages
experimentation and innovation and what seems to me real learning about how
systems work, e.g.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/faqs

This might just be nostalgia, as I grew up in the UK, programming and designing
software on RISC OS (which the Rasperry Pi runs: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2338).

Best,

Stewart
--
If you want to build a community of palaeographers, teach people to long for the endless
immensity of manuscripts. www.digipal.eu: where the longing starts...