[Humanist] 27.830 social media lie detector

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Feb 28 07:53:24 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at gmail.com>                   (75)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 27.829 a social media lie detector?

  [2]   From:    Alun Edwards <alun.edwards at it.ox.ac.uk>                   (12)
        Subject: RE:  27.829 a social media lie detector?

        Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 08:59:00 +0100
        From: maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at gmail.com>

Il 27/02/14 07:48, Humanist Discussion Group ha scritto:
> Two researchers from the Institute of Psychiatry, King's College London,
> are part of an EU project, PHEME, which aims automatically to detect four
> types of online rumours (speculation, controversy, misinformation, and
> disinformation) and to model their spread. "With partners from seven
> different countries, the project will combine big data analytics with
> advanced linguistic and visual methods. The results will be suitable for
> direct application in medical information systems and digital
> journalism."
this project implies that computers have an ability to subtly analyze
the whole spectrum of meanings related to words and phrases that i never
saw before in computers. nor in human beings.
while modeling the spread of rumours seems much more viable.

BTW: does anyone know how many millions € did they get and under which
EU call?

maurizio

--
dobbiamo provarci, anche noi. è questo il progresso. a forza di tentare, forse alla fine avremo gli organi necessari, per esempio l'organo della dignità o quello della fraternità...
r. gary, le radici del cielo

        Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:04:52 +0000
        From: Alun Edwards <alun.edwards at it.ox.ac.uk>

Dear Willard, personally I use http://www.snopes.com/ and http://facecrooks.com/ as very good social media lie detectors. Ally

--

Alun Edwards

E: alun.edwards at it.ox.ac.uk
T: @HurricaneAlly
L: www.linkedin.com/in/alunedwards
W: www.it.ox.ac.uk/infosec/ Communications Manager for Information Security, University of Oxford | http://runcoco.oucs.ox.ac.uk/ Manager of RunCoCo: how to run a community collection online | www.europeana1914-1918.eu/ Project Manager of Europeana 1914-1918 | http://blogs.it.ox.ac.uk/eet/ Education Enhancement Team Academic IT Services

University of Oxford IT Services | 13 Banbury Road | Oxford OX26NN