[Humanist] 27.826 events: computational linguistics; Turing and Busa

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Feb 26 07:10:57 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Davenport, Sarah" <s.davenport at ucl.ac.uk>                (14)
        Subject: UCLDH Guest Speaker: Professor Willard McCarty, 25th March
                2014

  [2]   From:    Alexander O'Connor <Alex.OConnor at scss.tcd.ie>            (102)
        Subject: Second CFP: COLING 2014

        Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:49:20 +0000
        From: "Davenport, Sarah" <s.davenport at ucl.ac.uk>
        Subject: UCLDH Guest Speaker: Professor Willard McCarty, 25th March 2014

Professor Willard McCarty, 'What does Turing have to do with Busa? In celebration of the centennary plus one of Roberto Busa's birth’
Tuesday 25th March, 5.30pm
G31, Foster Court, UCL

We sometimes act as if the two -- the odd Englishman who invented digital computing and the formidable Italian who in the standard account began digital humanities -- were remote strangers to each other as much in thought as they were in life. In this talk I argue for their cognitive if not spiritual brotherhood. I argue that the coming together of digital computing machinery and traditional humanistic questions could be more obviously and more fully a bi-directional transformative collision with deeply fructifying outcome if only we ceased treating those two great progenitors as alien to each other.

Willard McCarty is Professor of Humanities Computing, King’s College London, and Professor, Research Group in Digital Humanities, University of Western Sydney.

All welcome, registration required.  Please see our events pages for information on how to register: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/dh/events/archive/25-mar-14-mccarty

Sarah Davenport
Centre Co-ordinator
UCL Centre for Digital Humanities