[Humanist] 27.819 Busa and Cage

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Feb 24 07:20:02 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 13:44:09 +0000
        From: Martin Mueller <martinmueller at northwestern.edu>
        Subject: Re:  27.818 Busa and Cage

There may be false alternatives hiding in the worry whether computers
"merely" save time. There is a charming book by Jane Smiley, Iowa native,
about John Atanasoff, another Iowa native, who according to her was
"the man who invented the computer." She put her narrative in a wider
context of scientists who ran up against the limits of human computation:
if it takes too long to carry out a computation that is necessary to
tackling a question, the question cannot be tackled. Vicky Kalogera, an
astronomer and colleague of mine at Northwestern, once told me that in her
mother's and certainly her grandmother's world mathematically gifted women
were limited to being human computers or quantitative secretaries.

The economist Michael Spence was described in the New York Times (February
18, 2014) as thinking in 2005  "about how the Internet, compressing time
and distance, would strengthen supply chains around the world." In its
early years, the toll booths in the Denver bypass (E-470) were staffed by
extraordinarily courteous and cheerful attendants.  They have been
replaced by automatic cameras and workflows that depend critically on
computers. Most of the women who were human computers for early
twentieth-century physicists or astronomers found new and better things to
do with their time. I am less sure about the employment opportunities for
the toll booth attendants--mostly older and mostly women--who lost their
jobs.  Paul Krugmann worries about such questions.

Just about everything good or bad associated with computers boils down --
and usually sooner rather than later -- to the time cost of operations.
When something becomes literally "worthwhile" the calculus of the possible
changes, often in unpredictable ways. "Had we but world enough and time"
is a good phrase to remember. So is Ranganathan's fourth law of library
science: "Save the time of the reader."

Changes in speed and scale are the key factors in thinking about computers
in the humanities. I am not at all sure, however, whether the cumulative
effect in the so-called "Digital Humanities" differs in interesting ways
from those changes in other disciplines or walks of life. And in all walks
there is always the big question whether time saved is put to some other
and better purpose. Another recent story in the Times talks about a
failing high school student: how could she possibly do her homework (so
she argued) when she had all this texting to do?

Martin Mueller

Professor emeritus of English and Classics
Northwestern University

On 2/23/14 2:09 AM, "Humanist Discussion Group"