[Humanist] 27.818 Busa and Cage

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Feb 23 09:09:43 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:54:50 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  27.817 Busa and Cage: more work not less

Dear Willard,

This same point that Busa makes was posed as a question to a number of
leading Italian academics already in 1962 in an article in Almanacco
Letterario Bompiani, pp.143-144, 313-318. They were asked if the
computer had changed the nature of their work "as some claim", or
whether it merely made things easier. They all replied to the effect that
nothing really had changed, except for Gianfranco Contini, who agreed,
but added: "precisely because it will allow quantitative research that
so far has been impossible, its heuristic significance will be
revealing". My guess is that Marshall McLuhan is behind the change in
attitude that Busa refers to, and is the chief of the "some who claim",
since The Gutenberg Galaxy was published in that year.

Desmond Schmidt
Research Scientist
Queensland University of Technology

On Sat, Feb 22, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Humanist Discussion Group <