[Humanist] 27.811 events: WWI summer school; digital libraries

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Feb 20 07:32:27 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Alexander O'Connor <Alex.OConnor at scss.tcd.ie>             (41)
        Subject: Summer School: "Researching the First World War in a Digital
                Environment" - CENDARI Project

  [2]   From:    "Blanke, Tobias" <tobias.blanke at kcl.ac.uk>                (24)
        Subject: Call for Papers Digital Libraries 2014 - Joint Conference on
                Digital Libraries (JCDL) and the International Conference on
                Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries (TPDL)

        Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:22:19 +0000
        From: Alexander O'Connor <Alex.OConnor at scss.tcd.ie>
        Subject: Summer School: "Researching the First World War in a Digital Environment" - CENDARI Project

Begin forwarded message:

--
Dr. Alexander O'Connor

Knowledge & Data Engineering Group
Trinity College Dublin, Ireland

Alex.OConnor at scss.tcd.ie

        Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 18:00:21 +0000
        From: "Blanke, Tobias" <tobias.blanke at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Call for Papers Digital Libraries 2014 - Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) and the International Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries (TPDL)

International Digital Libraries Conference (DL2014) in London

Please note the specific Digital Humanities theme at DL 2014.

In 2014 the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries (JCDL) and the International Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries (TPDL) will be held together as the International Digital Libraries Conference (DL2014) in London, UK.

http://dl2014.org/

The combined DL conference will be the major international scientific forum on digital libraries for 2014, bringing together researchers and developers as well as content providers and users. The focus of the joint conference is on on digital libraries and associated technical, practical, organizational, and social issues.

Important dates

Full and short papers due: March 16, 2014, 11.59pm HAST
Posters, Panels, and Demonstrations due: March 23, 2014, 11.59pm HAST
Notification of acceptance: May 25, 2014
Camera ready version due: June 8, 2014

Workshop, Tutorial, and Panel submissions due: March 2, 2014, 11.59pm HAST
Notification of acceptance: April 27, 2014

Conference Scope

The themes of the 2014 TPDL/JCDL combined conference will follow the theme of 'preserving the past - finding the future'. Digital collections face two major challenges: organising and conserving material across time, and enabling users to discover the material they need in increasingly large collections. In terms of 'preserving the past', example issues include the demands of digitisation of physical materials, the digital preservation of material so it remains accessible, and the systematic classification and indexation of large collections across social and technological change.

In contrast, when 'finding the future', sophisticated discovery tools, effective library policies, support for linked data, and supporting the user's interpretation and analysis of content are examples of the key challenges that face the communities of DL practitioners and researchers.

The conference welcomes internationally leading insights into both research problems and practical complexities. Contributions from digital humanities, digital preservation, hypertext and information retrieval researchers are as much a vital part of the digital library community's interests as core DL research, and submissions on these and other related topics are strongly encouraged.

Different tracks for research and practice papers are offered. For further information see the Call for Papers page at:

http://dl2014.org/cfp.html

We are looking forward to seeing you in London!

George Buchanan, General Chair
Sally Jo Cunningham, Program Co-Chair
Martin Klein, Program Co-Chair
Andreas Rauber, Program Co-Chair