[Humanist] 27.804 events: arts; art & science; cartography; complex networks

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Feb 18 09:34:07 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Jenny Rock <jennifer.rock at OTAGO.AC.NZ>                    (27)
        Subject: special symposium: Art - Science interaction: How can we
                further the effect?

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (13)
        Subject: critical cartography

  [3]   From:    Jean Gilmour Anderson <Jean.Anderson at glasgow.ac.uk>       (12)
        Subject: Digital Humanities and Arts conference call

  [4]   From:    Maximilian Schich <maximilian at schich.info>                (43)
        Subject: CFP: Arts, Humanities, and Complex Network at NetSci2014

        Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 01:34:49 +0000
        From: Jenny Rock <jennifer.rock at OTAGO.AC.NZ>
        Subject: special symposium: Art - Science interaction: How can we further the effect?

CALL FOR PAPERS: Art - Science

For a special symposium: Art - Science interaction: How can we further the
effect? XXth International Conference of the Society for Human Ecology:
"Ecological Responsibility and Human Imagination" October 22 – 25 College
of the Atlantic, Bar Harbor, Maine USA
http://societyforhumanecology.org/she-xx-2014/

Many understand the value of the arts in science thinking, creativity &
education. The cross overs have been well documented from a historical
perspective (e.g. many -if not all- renowned scientists have also been
creatively involved in the arts). But how do we extend this appreciation
more broadly? Many avenues have been tried, from platforms for facilitated
collaboration at the professional level, to alternative education
programmes, and festivals/public exhibitions. But still the two-culture
dichotomy persists. Here we explore new/revised approaches for advancing the
effect of science-art interaction. Simultaneously, we will confront related
questions: can it go too far… is a degree of disciplinary boundary
important?

In particular, an art – science approach has been argued as extremely
effective for raising awareness about ecological issues and engaging people
both widely and deeply. In keeping with broader themes of the conference we
will also examine the role of art – science in ecological
awareness/remediation, and tackle tricky questions of whether art can have
an overt message or purpose without sacrificing creative power.

As the examples above indicate: we aim to not just celebrate art – science
but to think about critical issues and hopefully find a way to expand its
effect. Please join us! Email expressions of interest to
jenny.rock at otago.ac.nz<mailto:jenny.rock at otago.ac.nz>