[Humanist] 27.784 characters not in UniCode

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Feb 11 07:23:04 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:34:46 +0100
        From: maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 27.780 characters not in UniCode

Il 10/02/14 07:00, Humanist Discussion Group ha scritto:
> Hi Maurizio,
> thank you very much for this information. It is most helpful, and thank you
> also to James, Alan and Laura for their references. I have now a wealth of
> information to fight back against the criticism of an argument, which I
> will explain briefly since Maurizio asks.
thank you very much desmond for this insight into you critical thoughts.

my question was an interested one because as a side effect of your
request i was brought to think more throughly to the problem caused by
missing Unicode characters.

recalling what i wrote, one could use the currency pound Unicode
character to represent the symbol for sescuncia because they share the
same glyph. this can happen because we are 'people of print' but if we
read the text at digital level (character encoding) no late latin text
can contain a 'currency pound' symbol. similarly for thousand of other
cases (for example when one unlocks ligatures). or, from another point
of view: we cannot but do this real mistake at digital level because
doing it we at least have something working smoothly at visual/print level.

what i mean is: how one (person or group) could start an initiative for
bringing into Unicode those missing characters? with 1)no worry for the
glyphs, which can arrive later (the true problem is that of having the
character codes); and 2) no worry for building a complete list because
this could stop the initiative before it starts.

best
maurizio

--
erano anni felici, anche se noi non ce n'eravamo accorti
(Anni felici, Daniele Luchetti)