[Humanist] 27.769 characters not available in UniCode

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Feb 6 08:24:27 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    James Cummings <James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk>               (29)
        Subject: Re:  27.765 characters not in UniCode

  [2]   From:    Alan Corre <corre at uwm.edu>                                 (8)
        Subject: Characters not available in Unicode

        Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 12:58:09 +0000
        From: James Cummings <James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk>

On 05/02/14 09:01, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:
> Dear Desmond (and all),
>
> For a list of characters that aren't currently in Unicode, see the Medieval
> Unicode Font Initiative (MUFI), which proposes new characters for inclusion
> in Unicode.  This includes things like common scribal abbreviations, some
> of which made the transition to print. It does, however, also include
> ligatures and accents.  http://www.mufi.info

As part of the ENRICH project I helped to create a 'gaiji' bank
at http://www.manuscriptorium.com/apps/gbank/ which was directly
derived from the MUFI characters using the private-use-area at
the time of the project. In each instance it gives a sample of
XML encoding of the non-unicode character and the xml source of a
<char> element which could be included in a <charDecl> in the
header of a TEI file.  The TEI, as I'm sure you know, has long
coped with the fact that there are characters not yet in Unicode
(sometimes for perfectly acceptable reasons) which people wish to
encode and document.  In other cases they may wish to track
particular scribal features or variants (e.g. single-compartment
vs double-compartment 'a'). The TEI module for doing this 'gaiji'
is documented at:
http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/WD.html For
some more information about the gaiji bank see:
http://www.manuscriptorium.com/apps/gbank/docs/ENRICH%20Gaiji%20Bank.pdf

Just some additional related information really.

-James

Dr James Cummings, James.Cummings at it.ox.ac.uk