[Humanist] 27.768 pubs: The Unbound Book (as a bound book...)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Feb 5 10:08:16 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 21:28:23 +0000
        From: "Kircz, Joost" <j.g.kircz at hva.nl>
        Subject: The Unbound Book published

Dear Colleagues,

After our successful international conference The Unbound Book, we now produced an old-fashioned book.

Check:
http://e-boekenstad.nl/unbound/  for the conference and in particular
http://e-boekenstad.nl/unbound/index.php/media/session-2-unbound-book/ for the video registration of all speakers and discussions.

Ten extensive papers, along with an introduction and an integrated bibliography are now bound into a book published by Amsterdam University Press.
Edited by Joost Kircz and Adriaan van der Weel, it contains a twelve page introduction by the editors and chapters by Arianne Baggerman, Miha Kovač, Bob Stein, Bernhard Rieder, Florian Cramer, Alain Griffard, Anne Mangen, Ray Siemens & Corina Koolen (& co-workers), and Joost Kircz & August Hans den Boef, a who=who, and 14 pages bibliography.

The blurb reads:

At   the onset of the digital deluge, books had evolved to become the perfect reading machine. When using screen technology, it is one thing to identify what we lose in the process but quite another and, it might be argued, an ultimately more fruitful one, to identify how that screen technology might shape the activities that we always used paper for. Screen technology is likely to determine our learning and entertainment habits. Awareness and eventually new insights are essential if we are to have any hopes of influencing the direction in which screen technology can develop.

This collection of essays addresses the question of what the digital revolution might mean for conventional paper books, and especially about the digital future of the long-form text popularly designated by the term ‘book’.

The Unbound Book. Joost Kircz and Adriaan van der Weel (eds.) Amsterdam University press (www.aup.nl<http://www.aup.nl> ) ISBN 978 90 8964 600 2
164 pages   156 x 234 mm   Paperback   2013   €29.95

Just available on: amazon.co.uk

For those of you who read Dutch we refer also to the twin conference Boek uit de Band :
http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/unboundbook/  and http://networkcultures.org/wpmu/unboundbook/documentatie/videoregistratie/ for the video registration of contributions and discussions.

Hope you like it.
The organizing committee and the editors.

Please feel free to distribute this announcement widely.