[Humanist] 27.760 stats software? early career stories? characters not in UniCode?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Feb 4 09:42:27 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>         (16)
        Subject: Characters not available in UniCode

  [2]   From:    Gabriele Civiliene <gabrielemucho at gmail.com>               (8)
        Subject: software for comparing stats data

  [3]   From:    "Prescott, Andrew" <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>            (36)
        Subject: Early career researchers' experiences?

        Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 19:37:02 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>

Dear Humanist,

I often hear it claimed that there are many characters in old texts,
particularly in early printed books, that are not in UniCode. The 15th
century printed texts I have seen are all early Greek editions, and indeed
they do have many ligatures, particularly at the ends of words, but all of
these in my limited experience transliterate as ordinary sequences of known
characters. What I want to know is, does anyone know of any *characters* in
early books written in languages claimed to be represented in UniCode, that
are not already in the standard? I do not mean *glyphs* (character shapes),
because strictly speaking their representation is the responsibility of the
font designer, not of the character encoding standard. I refer on this
point to the UniCode FAQ:
http://www.unicode.org/faq/ligature_digraph.html

yours in hope

Desmond Schmidt