[Humanist] 28.599 recognition of annotated collections?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Dec 31 10:32:14 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 07:37:21 +1100
        From: Nick Thieberger <thien at unimelb.edu.au>
        Subject: Annotated primary material as scholarly output

Dear Humanists,

I and some colleagues are preparing a case for recognising an annotated
collection of primary records as a scholarly output (for purposes of tenure
and advancement, sabbatical projects, or grant applications). In particular
we are addressing the records created by linguists in fieldwork on small
languages, often those for which there were no previous records.

I am writing to ask if you know of disciplines in which PhD (for example)
can be awarded for the creation of a well-annotated set of primary records.
I know that this is the case for editions of manuscripts for example. Can
you let me know of such PhD projects (offline) and I will compile the

Thanks,

Nick Thieberger

Two references on this work:
http://www.paradisec.org.au/blog/2012/11/counting-collections

Nick Thieberger. 2014 'Digital humanities and language documentation'. In
Lauren Gawne and Jill Vaughan (eds) *Selected papers from the 44th
conference of the Australian Linguistic Society, 2013* Melbourne:
University of Melbourne. pp. 144-159. http://hdl.handle.net/11343/40961