[Humanist] 28.583 Frampton on poesis vs mathesis

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Dec 22 07:55:55 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 21:03:03 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: poesis and mathesis

Quite by accident, though in pursuit of an idea that proved central to
the work of Hollis Frampton (1936-1984), photographer and film-maker, I
happened across Annette Michelson's leading tribute to him in October 32
(1984), "Poesis/Mathesis". (The issue of this journal is in JSTOR.) I
quote from the middle and end of her very short article. She laments his
untimely death,

> the abrupt cancellation of an enterprise whose scale and multivalence
> stood in obstinate, reasoned defiance of dualities which, in our
> culture, are accorded the status of ontologically irresolvable
> antinomies....

and concludes that his incomplete project is

> testimony to that consistent, strenuously seminal role of Frampton as
> mediator in the difficult and delicate negotiation of a marriage of
> Poesis and Mathesis, a union as scandalous and difficult in our
> culture as that of Heaven and Hell.

Frampton would seem someone whose writings might be of interest to many here.

Group, University of Western Sydney