[Humanist] 28.577 3D modelling & reconstruction

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 19 09:25:51 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 07:47:16 +0000
        From: "Kraft, Gabriele" <gkraft at gcdh.de>
        Subject: CfA: GCDH Spring School: 3D Modeling and Reconstruction with Blender & Unity

Dear All,

We are delighted to send you the Call for Applications for our GCDH Spring School 2015 "3D Modeling and Reconstruction with Blender & Unity" which will take place from 2 to 6 March 2015 at the University of Göttingen, Germany (http://www.gcdh.de/en/teaching/gcdh-spring-school-2015/).
The Spring School is organised by the Göttingen Centre for Digital Humanities (GCDH) http://www.gcdh.de/en/ .

Introduction

3D visualisation technologies enable and advance the preservation of and research on all kinds of cultural heritage. Modeling, visualising and animating culturally important objects or sites via 3D technologies allow researchers a more detailed and high-resolution view on their research material.
Our Spring School will bring together 20 international students who are interested in learning how to model 3D objects, how to manage 3D data, and how to create virtual worlds in 3D. You will be acquainted with the modeling of 3D objects using Blender, the 3D reconstruction with VisualSFM and MeshLab, and the creation of 3D virtual worlds using Unity 3D. In the morning sessions you will be taught theory and essential knowledge about photogrammetry, meshing, etc. In the afternoon, you will deepen and broaden this knowledge in instructor-led labs where you will apply the methods you have been acquainted with.

The workshops will be led by Johanna Pirker and Phil Gosch who already ran the 3D strand of the DARIAH Summer School 2014.

Costs and fees

The registration fee for accepted applicants is 100 €. We provide free accommodation (single rooms) in near-by hotels, including breakfast, as well as lunch in the refectory. We will not cover travel costs. Participants are responsible for securing and paying for visas if necessary.

What to bring

Given the hands-on character of the Spring School, it is essential to bring your own laptop. It could also be useful to bring your own camera.

Application

We are inviting up to 20 international participants (MA and PhD students). Please send a covering letter indicating your motivation to participate in the Spring School (1 page max.) and a short Curriculum Vitae (1 page max.) preferably as one PDF file to Ele Kraft (gkraft at gcdh.de). The deadline for applications is Sunday, 25 January 2015. You will be notified on your application status until Friday, 30 January 2015.

The language of communication during the Spring School will be English.

For further information or in case of any questions, please don't hesitate to contact Ele Kraft (gkraft at gcdh.de).

With best wishes,
Ele

Gabriele Kraft
Göttingen Centre for Digital Humanities (GCDH)
Papendiek 16
D-37073 Göttingen
Tel: 0049 551 39 20476
Email: gkraft at gcdh.de<mailto:gkraft at gcdh.de>