[Humanist] 28.574 REF results; new Head of Digital Humanities at King's

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 19 09:21:08 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 21:58:58 +0000
        From: "Spence, Paul" <paul.spence at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: REF 2014 results; new Head of DDH

Dear All

As those of you who work at institutions in the UK will know, today saw the publication of the results of the assessment exercise (REF 2014), which takes place in the UK every few years (the last one was conducted in 2008) and which aims to evaluate the quality of research in terms of 'outputs', 'research environment' and 'impact case studies': http://www.ref.ac.uk/

A larger number of digital humanities centres was evident this year than in 2008 and everyone made a strong showing, once again demonstrating the breadth and depth of the field in the UK. For those interested in such things, I would like to point to the official announcement about the King's College London results (for a joint submission between Department of Digital Humanities / Department of Culture, Media & Creative Industries) to the REF panel for 'Communication, Cultural and Media Studies, Library and Information Management':

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/artshums/depts/ddh/newsrecords/2014/Digital-Humanities-CMCI-REF-zxz.aspx

This is also an opportune moment to announce the appointment of Professor Sheila Anderson as new Head of Department at DDH from 1st January. We were very sorry to see the early retirement of Andrew Prescott a few months ago - and I want to take this opportunity to thank him for his important contribution to Digital Humanities at KCL - but are delighted to welcome Sheila as new Head in 2015.

Best wishes
Paul

Paul Spence
Acting Head of Department