[Humanist] 28.561 new professor of digital history; PhD postiions at Indiana

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 12 07:27:30 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    John Walsh <jawalsh at indiana.edu>                          (39)
        Subject: Indiana University Ph.D. Program in Information Science
                Accepting Applications due by January 15th

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>           (7)
        Subject: new professor of digital history

        Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 08:32:12 -0500
        From: John Walsh <jawalsh at indiana.edu>
        Subject: Indiana University Ph.D. Program in Information Science Accepting Applications due by January 15th

Indiana University Ph.D. Program in Information Science Accepting Applications (due by January 15th).

Apply Today!

Funding packages with $21,500 per year stipends are available for top candidates.

As the Indiana University Ph.D. in Information Science celebrates 50 years (1964 to 2014) – and over 185 graduates, we are pleased to accept new applications to our program in the School of Informatics and Computing, Department of Information and Library Science.  Our doctoral program is one of the longest continuously running information science programs in the U.S. with one of the highest number of graduates.  We are proud of our graduates.  They have authored books and articles, and have been teachers of thousands of students over the past 50 years.  A number have gone on to become Deans of schools and libraries, Directors of doctoral programs, Editors of journals, and Presidents of national professional associations.

Our Doctor of Philosophy in Information Science trains the next generation of information scientists—the people who will advance the knowledge in this field. Doctoral students are advised by faculty that are engaged in cutting-edge research areas such as:
    - social informatics
    - data science
    - computer mediated communication
    - scholarly communication
    - online communities
    - information visualization
    - social media analysis
    - digital humanities
    - scientometrics
    - digital library
    - knowledge entity and graph mining
    - semantic web and linked data
    - complex network analysis
    - data and text mining and information retrieval
    - knowledge mining in healthcare, medicine and cognitive science
    - metadata management
    - science of team science

Our students can benefit from our active community of scholars that includes these Research Centers:
    - Catapult Center for Digital Humanities and Computational Analysis
    - Center for Computer Mediated Communication
    - Center for Research on Mediated Interaction (CROMI)
    - Cyberinfrastructure for Network Science (CNS) Center
    - Rob Kling Center for Social Informatics (RKCSI)
    - Web Science Lab

Located in the ideal university town of Bloomington, Indiana, the program is supported by both an extensive research infrastructure – and, by a beautiful setting.  The technology and library resources at IU are stellar.  The trees, the music, and the food in Bloomington enrich out-of-class hours.

Interested in our doctoral program?  Have questions?

Contact:  Dr. Ying Ding, ILS Ph.D. Program Director at dingying at indiana.edu
---