[Humanist] 28.532 DesignX: where should design go?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Dec 3 09:25:43 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 20:49:42 +0800
        From: Ken Friedman <ken.friedman.sheji at icloud.com>
        Subject: DesignX

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1417525321_2014-12-02_ken.friedman.sheji@icloud.com_19196.1.txt
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1417525321_2014-12-02_ken.friedman.sheji@icloud.com_19196.2.pdf

Dear Colleague,

A few months back, a number of design experts and professors from four continents began a conversation about where the design field ought to go over the next few years. The conversation led to a statement released today in Hong Kong.

The authors are Yongqi Lou (Dean at Tongji University College of Design and Innovation), Don Norman (Director of the Design Lab at University of California), Pieter Jan Stappers (Professor at Delft University of Technology Faculty of Industrial Design Engineering), Ena Voûte (Dean at Delft), Patrick Whitney (Dean of the Illinois Institute of Technology Institute of Design) and myself. You’ll also recognise some of the names from the other hats they wear — Don is author of twenty books, including the global best-seller, Design of Everyday Things; Ena was a senior executive at Phillips until taking on the Delft deanship; Pieter Jan is co-author of Convivial Design. The others are equally distinguished within the design field and in international design research.

I’m sending you a copy of the DesignX statement. We are releasing this through as many channels as possible to encourage wide public debate. I hope you will share it with your network of colleagues and friends.

Warm wishes,

Ken

Ken Friedman, PhD, DSc (hc), FDRS | Editor-in-Chief | 设计 She Ji. The Journal of Design, Economics, and Innovation | Published by Elsevier in Cooperation with Tongji University Press | Launching in 2015

Chair Professor of Design Innovation Studies | College of Design and Innovation | Tongji University | Shanghai, China ||| University Distinguished Professor | Centre for Design Innovation | Swinburne University of Technology | Melbourne, Australia

Email ken.friedman.sheji at icloud.com | Academia http://swinburne.academia.edu/KenFriedman | D&I http://tjdi.tongji.edu.cn