[Humanist] 28.530 sharing bibliographic information?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Dec 3 09:22:09 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2014 11:25:29 +0000
        From: "Dr. Will Tuladhar-Douglas" <will at tending.to>
        Subject: recommendations for shared bibliographic database, FOSS

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1417519921_2014-12-02_humanist-owner@lists.digitalhumanities.org_7561.2.pkcs7-signature

Gentlefolk,

I'm writing to ask the list for advice in choosing a server/client bundle that would allow a research team to share bibliographic information. I suspect this is a question that surfaces periodically. We have a small workgroup (< 20) but members might need to access the database from almost anywhere, and publications will be in a variety of languages and scripts.

Minimally, it needs to be free and open-source, multi-user, Unicode-friendly, run the server on Linux or OSX, and allow for the input, editing and retrieval of bibliographic information in BiBTeX and EndNote formats through a web interface. Ideally it would be possible to load many records at once, at least through the backend; have the capacity to attach PDFs and notes; integrate with interesting front-ends like Moodle; be relatively easy to set up; and use a standard back-end like PostgreSQL or MySQL.

Zotero is neither open-source nor free, and while I am sure we could have a long discussion, let's not ;-).

So far, I've found

Basilic (http://artis.imag.fr/Software/Basilic/  http://artis.imag.fr/Software/Basilic/ ) -- looks a bit old.
Refbase (http://www.refbase.net/index.php/Web_Reference_Database  http://www.refbase.net/index.php/Web_Reference_Database )
Wikindx (http://wikindx.sourceforge.net  http://wikindx.sourceforge.net/ )

Is there a standard? Do folks have good or bad experiences with use, administration or support of any of these?

I'll summarise and post responses.

Many thanks.

Be well,

—WBTD.

Will Tuladhar Douglas
Senior Lecturer, Environments and Religions
University of Aberdeen
http://tending.to/garden  http://tending.to/garden