[Humanist] 28.529 a new computational humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Dec 3 09:21:12 CET 2014

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Helena Barbas" <hebarbas at fcsh.unl.pt>                    (13)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 28.525 a new computational humanities

  [2]   From:    Andrew G Taylor <agt2 at rice.edu>                           (70)
        Subject: Re:  28.525 a new computational humanities

        Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 15:07:25 +0000
        From: "Helena Barbas" <hebarbas at fcsh.unl.pt>

Dearest Willard - let me contribute to the argument with a poem by
Jorge-Luis Borges - del rigor de la Ciencia/ of exactitude in Science -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if0YH_PC02Y
best of best regards Helena Barbas

[On Exactitude in Science

... In that Empire, the Art of Cartography attained such Perfection that the map of a single Province occupied the entirety of a City, and the map of the Empire, the entirety of a Province. In time, those Unconscionable Maps no longer satisfied, and the Cartographers Guilds struck a Map of the Empire whose size was that of the Empire, and which coincided point for point with it. The following Generations, who were not so fond of the Study of Cartography as their Forebears had been, saw that that vast Map was Useless, and not without some Pitilessness was it, that they delivered it up to the Inclemencies of Sun and Winters. In the Deserts of the West, still today, there are Tattered Ruins of that Map, inhabited by Animals and Beggars; in all the Land there is no other Relic of the Disciplines of Geography.

Suárez Miranda, Viajes de varones prudentes, Libro IV, Cap. XLV, Lérida, 1658

trans. Andrew Hurley, Penguin edn.]

Helena Barbas (PhD)
F.C.S.H - Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Av. de Berna, 26-C